Saturday 6 September 2014

Getting Started with Eduardo

Greetings, all!

You may have noticed that this blog is quite empty at the moment - so many pages, so little content.  Yet do not despair! Soon I hope to have many posts to fill all these empty pages with, and hopefully many of them will interest you (or at the very least give you something amusing to read whilst searching for cute cat pictures.  Don't worry, we all do it, it's perfectly normal, there's nothing to be ashamed about).

This particular page is here to house posts about the set up of my Etsy shop ("getting started": inspired, I know.  I am the BEST at naming things!).  Before the shop "opens", I want to have plenty of stock ready and waiting to go, and to do that I need to collect some things.  It's kind of like a scavenger hunt... but where I buy the necessary items...

Ahem, well... my first bit of setting up, and the subject of this post, was acquired a few weeks ago.  I managed to get my hands on a second-hand dressmakers mannequin (whom I have dubbed Eduardo) from the joyous place that is Ebay.  Just how it was acquired is a thrilling tale of organisation and time management, with a cameo from a mannequin with extendible boobs that look like half-grapefruits on sticks being pushed out of it's chest by gnomes.  The ending is truly suspenseful combining snipes, an unreliable internet connection, and a chair that was in the wrong place at the wrong time!... But no one ever seems to really get into the story; except me, of course; so I won't bore you with it.  I guess you had to be there.

Aaaanyway, here he is:

All dressed up with no where to go
Lookin' purdy in your dress there Eduardo ;)


Naked Eduardo is naked!




A little worn and a bit dusty, but it works and that's the main thing.  No more trying to pin things while they are on me!  No more stabbing myself with needles... well, except at weekends (I do, of course, mean when I end up sewing late into the night and forget my leg isn't a pin cushion.  Sheesh, what did you think I meant?).  No more waiting until I've spent hours sewing things together before realising that I've sewn two right legs instead of a right & a left (true story... a true and harrowing story)!  I can now make clothes that are tailored to fit actual people, rather than relying on luck and the gods to help me.





It took me a while to work out exactly how to change the size, but I got there in the end.  Now I need to take accurate measurements of myself or find a willing victim on whom to press (ha! see what I did there? Press! Ha!... ) my next clothing project... hummm...





For now, I must await the sewing machine & the fabric.  I have my eye on many different fabrics and two different sewing machines.  But they will be in future posts (which sounds much more sci-fi than it is).  For now, here is Eduardo in all his glory modelling the hand-stitched parts of my gender-swapped Joker cosplay, enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment