Sunday 14 September 2014

Free-Sew

Greetings all!

Welcome back.  Today is just a little Quick Fix for your sewing needs.  You may have seen me use the term "free-sew" before, and don't worry you're not "out of the loop", I just made it up.  My initial title was:

"Having a random idea of what to make, but not having a pattern or any idea how to make a pattern, so cutting templates out of cardboard, or just going for it".

I know, I've said it before: I am the BEST at naming things!  But I found that a little difficult to say over and over again, so I made it a little more succinct.

Free-sewing is basically just doing your own thing and making something that pops into your head.  Check-out my DRD on the "getting started" page of this blog if you're still wondering what the hell I'm going on about.  Another Free-sew I've done is a skirt for a Halloween costume a couple of years ago.  Again, this was before I knew how to use sewing patterns, so I just used common sense, logic, and luck.  No templates or patterns, just trial and error.

DRD 1.0 with his templates

Don't get me wrong, sewing patterns and pre-drawn templates are a godsend, but sometimes they just don't exist for what you want to do.  And if you're too impatient to learn and then make your own patterns (and you definitely wouldn't be in the minority if you are!) free-sewing is a fun alternative.

If there's another word/phrase for this already then let me know (then people will stop staring at me like I'm crazy); or if you've got your own way of saying it, let me know that too!  It's always good to share the knowledge... unless that knowledge will lead to the destruction of the universe - then maybe keep it to yourself.

Live long and prosper

No comments:

Post a Comment