Thursday 11 September 2014

DRD Free-Sew

Greetings all.

I wasn't sure where to put this post as it doesn't really fit into any one category.  I have decided the best place to put it is the "getting started" page, as this really is the beginnings of my sewing craze.

Although I am proud to call myself a geek and a nerd, I am ashamed to say that it wasn't until two years ago that I watched Farscape (shock, horror, disbelief!  I know, right?); but don't worry, I made up for that almost immediately by binge-watching it all over a couple of weeks.  I had a slight panic attack when I finished the last episode of the fourth season, until someone kindly pointed me towards The Peacekeeper Wars, and I could calm down again.

Once I had finished all the Farscape the internet has to offer, I then re-watched seasons 9 & 10 of Stargate SG-1... but it just wasn't the same!  Sure Ben Browder and Claudia Black were together again, and they more than make up for the absence of O'Neill!... But it wasn't Farscape.  This is the problem with binge-watching things as a nerd - you get far too into something & then it is cruelly taken away from you (I'm looking at you, Firefly)!

Anyway, to slate my hunger for more Farscape, I did what any rationale person would do: I made a DRD.

Lookin' sad in his old age

 Well, I searched for a cuddly DRD online first, obviously - I'm not totally insane.  Alas, none were found (well, none that looked remotely like a DRD).  So I decided to take it upon myself to make one.

Why a cuddly toy?  Well, I like cuddly toys.  That's pretty much it.

I wandered down to the haberdashery and hunted for the necessary items.  Once I had my silky yellow material, the rest was easy enough to find.

From the side - his eye-stalks never used to droop like that.


DRD booty!
At this point, I didn't really own much sewing paraphernalia.  I had the standard collection of needles and thread, some little scissors, and a tape measure, but that was about it.  I'd never seen a sewing pattern, and I'm pretty sure the last time I'd made something from scratch had been a flowery pin cushion in year five.

That was a while ago.

Anyway, I figured that there couldn't be much to this sewing malarkey, so I just made it up as I went.  I was only making it for myself anyway, so who would care if it went wrong?  I had plenty of material to work with!
I did manage to figure out that templates for the different DRD parts would be a good idea, so I cut some out from cardboard:

DRD 1.0 with the original "pattern" pieces

It was then all stitched together & stuffed to create this little guy:

  
This was before I was allowed near a real camera or natural light...

Ain't he cute?  The eye-stalk says it all... Ahem, aaaanyway, I then stitched on the little patches, embroidered the rest of him, and sorted out the eye-stalks to create the infamous DRD 1.0!

Before years of being hugged took their toll...
Who's a good DRD?  You are!  Yes you are!

After that, I realised I had a lot of material left over, and couldn't think of anything else I wanted to make with silky yellow material.  So I made DRD 2.0, DRD 3.0 (also known as Horatio), DRD 4.0, DRD 5.0, and DRD 6.0.  Who are all currently living with friends of mine having their own adventures.  
If any of you guys are reading this & feel like taking a snapshot of your DRD to let us know where they are and what shenanigans they are getting up to, that would be made of awesome!

I had planned to one day make DRD 1812, but haven't yet gotten round to it.  I may have to have him as my first item to be listed on Etsy when I finally get up and running.  There will only be one. 

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment