Wednesday 17 September 2014

Crummy Christmas Crafts

Greetings all.

You'll have to forgive me today, because today is a rant day.  Today is a day to rant about crummy christmas fabrics (yes, the title says crafts just for the purpose of alliteration.  That's just the kind of person I am).

Don't get me wrong, I love christmas!  I really do.  But I have a personal hatred for the crummy christmas fabrics that are starting to be sold around this time of year.  They are either too gaudy, or too boring.  They look ridiculous "out of season".  Plus, the crafts you can do with them are only useful for a month at the most, then you have to hide them away in the attic to feed your growing army of moths (don't lie.  I know what you're planning!).

I recently bought a sewing magazine, as I am often want to do, which had some free "Scandi Fabric".  I use the inverted commas because usually I like the Scandinavian fabric designs, but apparently christmas is a time to lower your standards in order to fit a particular mould.




























I know, I know: it was free fabric.  I shouldn't really complain, and christmas is a "theme" of sorts so, of course, designs are going to end up similar.  But I see the same designs year after year, and nothing ever strikes me a fresh or inspiring - I never see christmas fabric and say "that would make an awesome (insert appropriate christmas craft here)".  I see:


Ergh, snowmen

Huh?



Well, actually, this is cute, I could make... no.  Wouldn't work


Oh gods.

I mean, they're just so CHRISTMAS!  And don't even get me started on snowflakes (how do they make snowflakes boring!?) and calligraphy writing of Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays.  

I do find the occasional (heehee, get it?) awesome christmassy fabric, that doesn't feel the need to throw robins, snow-things, deer, or fat men in red suits at me.  But on the whole, the designs are always so similar and the colours so standard that I never bother with christmas makes.  Well done to those readers who have found wonderful things to do with these types of fabric - I'm sure you're out there proving me wrong, but I just can't do it.  I stumble upon pages like this one, and despair.

However, it is still September, and I have plenty of time to create some christmas crafts.  So I put it to you, dear readers: is there subtle christmas fabric out there that won't make me curl into a ball and cry?

Let me know if you find some, and I will gladly eat my hat and make a new one from the wonderful fabric you have suggested to me.

Live Long and Prosper ^-^

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! I despair about the same problem... and wrapping paper is also a repeat offender!

    Etsy shops in America tend to have some lovely stylish Christmas fabric, think black and white snowflakes and winter blue swirls. But shipping costs and stuff :( https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ChristmasJul?ref=l2-shopheader-name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I'm not the only one :) Love some of the fabrics on ChristmasJul; just wish they were UK based!

      Delete