Tuesday 7 October 2014

Owly the Owl Bag (No owl puns this time, I promise!)

Greetings all ^-^

Meet Owly... the owl bag:

Ain't he the cutest?


My sister gave me a bag like this for my last birthday, and I wore it out after a month of constant use.  So, once I had the notion to do so, I made my own.  Being the odd critter that I am, I felt the need to make him more colourful and ribbony than the original.  Who needs real-coloured owls anyway?  Right?

So, I did what any scientist would do, and backwards-engineered the bag!  For science! ... and sewing?


First came the drawing around the bag on paper.  Some bits didn't fit on A4, so I taped two pieces of A4 together.  I'm all about the hi-tec stuff, can you tell?

The came the deciding on colours by sifting through the mess of material dubbed the "monstrous material reservoir" (it's a bag for life filled with the material that isn't in big enough pieces to make clothes out of... but giving it a fancy name makes me feel better).




Anyway, after I decided on the material of choice (green silky polycotton, gold taffeta, and standard black cotton drill for the lining), I cut out all the bits I needed.  There was a lot of "yay! Finished!  Wait, I'll need that too...".

Once I finally had all the pieces I sewed them all together, and added buttons for eyes and the nose.  At this point I will ask you to all hail Gertrude (the sewing machine) for her automatic-one-step-buttonholes.  I don't even have to hold the fabric! It's amazing!

Before the buttons were added... creepy, no?

It was then time to create a strap.  The cotton drill seemed to be the best option, but it is terribly boring.  Then I found my ribbon bag.  The ribbon bag doesn't need a fancy name.  Just by having ribbons in it, it is fancy enough.

I cut pieces of ribbon to satisfactory (read: arbitrary yet equal) length, and sewed them to both the bag and the strap.  I then tied the ribbons together to create the strap you can see on Owly here:

The eyes make him less creepy... the tablet helps too.

And voilĂ , there you have it.  One Owl bag, ready to put on Etsy.  If anyone is interested in a full tutorial, let me know; it's pretty simple ^-^

Live long & prosper ^-^


No comments:

Post a Comment